Thursday, April 13, 2023

The Great Shuffle

I keep my movie library in alaphabetical order…mostly. 
Whenever I buy a new movie (or two or ten), I have to shift everything down to maintain the order of things. My wife likes to laugh at me about this, using it as an example of my selective OCD. 
My book library, I should note, isn’t arranged in any special way. Often, but not always, books by the same author are together, but that’s about it. If I want a specific book, I have to look for it. 
When I said “mostly” alphabetical, what I meant is that I will put all films in the same franchise together, regardless of their specific title (for example, all of the Planet of the Apes films are under P and all of the Marvel movies are under M, and in order of release). If it is a box set from a specific filmmaker or actor, it is under their last name (Marx Brothers are under M, Martin Scorsese under S). And all of my Buster Keaton films are under K and in order of release. My system works for me. It might seem silly or weird, but I do honestly enjoy shuffling them around. If nothing else, simply because it gives me the opportunity to look at certain films I own and go “Oh, yeah. That’s a good one.” 
My collection is growing so large however, that I’ve had to start relegating certain DVDs to other places. I’ve put all my TV DVDs on a separate shelf and all of my Mystery Science Theater 3000/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic DVDs and Blu-Rays have their own special video rack in my bedroom. I’m also using the top of the large video racks to store big box sets, like Criterion’s Ingmar Bergman or their Godzilla: The Showa Era set. 
Why am I talking about this? 
I dunno. 
Maybe for the same reason that I organize my movies like I do: because I’m weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment