Monday, April 17, 2023

Boutique Labels

I’ve never been one for brand-name labels. When other kids (or even siblings of mine) stressed about having Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein, I never cared. I was more interested in what was on my shirt than what was on my label. I freely admit that at awards shows, when vapid TV hosts ask “Who are you wearing?” I always think Who cares?!?
However, I appear to be turning a corner on this issue. Not on my clothes, necessarily (although I am becoming a fan of Doc Martens), but on video labels. 
It used to be, whoever put out the tape or disc was whoever made the movie: Universal, Paramount, Disney, whatever. Now, as physical media moves more and more towards collectors (as the average consumer is content with digital content) boutique labels are on the rise. 
The front-runner, and arguably the king of boutique video labels is The Criterion Collection. Boasting films from Kurosawa, Bergman, Chaplin, Welles, Tati, Bresson, Fellini and so many others, their roster is incredibly impressive. This, coupled with their restorations, bonus features and packaging, it’s no wonder that they have the reputation that they do. 
However, as great as Criterion is, Kino Lorber is also worth many accolades. While Kino has distributed wonderful Blu-Rays of the films of Truffaut, Spike Lee, Rian Johnson and many other contemporary filmmakers, I believe that where they really shine is when it comes to silent films. In addition to the complete films of Buster Keaton, Kino has also released beautiful restorations of the films of F.W. Murnau, Fritz Lang and Lon Chaney. Perhaps their greatest contribution has been in releasing Pioneers of African-American Cinema and Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers. These two sets are indispensable for anyone interested in film history. 
Shout Factory/Scream Factory also does great work. They have released two collections of the films of Werner Herzog as well as some frankly amazing restorations of John Carpenter’s horror films. They are also the home of one of my favorite television shows,  Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Their box set of all five films in The Fly franchise is also worth checking out and it’s one of my favorites. 
Arrow Video specializes in horror and science fiction and their Blu-Rays are something to behold. Around the same time that The Criterion Collection released their amazing Godzilla collection, Arrow Video put out two box sets containing every film featuring everyone’s favorite giant flying turtle, Gamera. Arrow is also where you will find the films of Takashi Miike, the Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast box set (featuring fourteen films from the Godfather of Gore), Hellraiser, The Hills Have Eyes and so many other great horror and science fiction films. 
Last, but not least I want to talk about Severin Films and Vinegar Syndrome. I’m putting these two together because they both specialize in off the beaten path releases and grindhouse fare (not exclusively, mind you. Severin released the amazing British TV-movie Threads and Vinegar Syndrome released Buster Keaton’s last film The Railrodder). Thus far, my favorite releases from these two labels are Vinegar Syndrome’s The Films of Rudy Ray Moore  box set and Severin’s release of Werewolf in a Girls Dormitory (which just might be my favorite movie title of all time- no synopsis is required). These films look great, they sound great and they never fail to put a smile on my face. 
There’s other, smaller labels I could talk about, like Blue Underground, Grindhouse Films, AGFA and others, but I really just wanted to highlight some of my favorites and come to terms with the fact that for the first time in my life, a label matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment