Thursday, November 29, 2012

Requiem for the Theater



 

They say that the movie theater is dead, that within a few years, the Cineplex will be a dinosaur; its insides scooped out and turned into a bargain bookstore or a church. In this age of wide-screen, hi-def TVs, Blu-Ray players, surround sound and bathroom breaks a mere pause button away, why bother going out and fighting crowds, paying exorbitant prices for snacks, sitting through twenty minutes of previews and having to deal with people who don’t understand that “turn off your cell phone” means TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!

                They say that, and I don’t entirely disagree. It costs a lot to go to the movies. Tickets where I live are $7.50 apiece for a matinee. So, if the wife and I go to an early show, that’s $15. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but remember, that same movie is going to be available for purchase in a few months for about $20, or rent for as little as $1 (less if you’re a regular Netflix user like me). So, you could see it now for fifteen, or wait a little bit and see it for a buck.

                Not exactly brain surgery, is it?

                And yet…


                Just before Halloween,  Regal Entertainment Group, in conjunction with Turner Classic Movies did a one-night only double feature of Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein. I was so excited. I begged my way into getting the night off of work, then begged my ex-wife to let me take our son for the night and then paid twenty-five dollars for the two of us to see a pair of movies that I already own. 

Why?

Because I’m old-fashioned. Because I remember being a kid and the thrill I’d get when I was taken to the movies, sitting in the darkened theater, waiting for the show to start, that little rush of adrenaline I’d get when the lights went all the way down, signaling that it was time for the feature to begin. Say what you will, but there’s nothing quite like going to a movie.

So my son and I sat in the theater and watched a pair of movies that were both over seventy-five years old, we stayed out until past ten on a school night, and we had a blast. My favorite bit was my son being approached by various middle-aged men in Frankenstein tee-shirts who told him how fortunate he was to be there, seeing these movies on the big screen. One man, who looked close to tears, said, “You are so lucky. I wish I had seen these on the big screen when I was your age.”  And it’s true, these movies which I had seen countless times, movies that even my seven year-old was familiar with from repeated viewings, they, like the titular monster, came alive again. The creation scene was more thrilling than ever, the monster more unnerving, Dr. Pretorius’ bitchiness was funnier than ever. Same movie, whole new experience.

But it’s not just for monster movies.

A few years ago, I attended an outdoor movie screening of Casablanca. It was the first time I had ever watched the movie with a crowd and it was like watching it for the first time. When Rick shoots Major Strasser and the police arrive, we have that famous scene where Renault says, “Major Strasser has been shot” (he and Rick exchange a glance) “round up the usual suspects.”

The audience cheered. A thunderous round of applause. I don’t know how many of those in attendance had seen Casablanca before, I would guess the majority, but they reacted like fans at a rock concert, when the guitarist plays the first few chords of their biggest hit.

Perhaps (and this will be my controversial stance for the evening) the future of movie theaters lies in the past. Let’s face it, they don’t make ‘em like they used to, and maybe theaters should seriously consider showing more tried and true fare, as they say, a classic never dies.

(Hollywood, take note: maybe, instead of remaking everything, you should simply re-release those popular titles. And for crying out loud, DO NOT alter them, no CGI “improvements,” no walkie-talkies instead of guns, don’t fix what ain’t broke. )

Regal theaters uses the slogan “Go big or go home.” Well, to paraphrase Norma Desmond, “The movies are big, it’s Hollywood that got small.”

No comments:

Post a Comment